Moose's blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wine Number 18 or "10 Countries and a Turning Point"

2005 Villanyi Zweigelt

Months ago I went to a nearby wine shop with an interesting concept, selling wine from wineries that don't produce over a certain amount of wine. I bought a couple wines, including a Zweigelt and it really opened my eyes to what's out there beyond cabernets, pinots and merlots. I loved the wine, it came in a liter, in came with a beer-bottlesque poptop, I bought more.

The Villanyi Zweigelt was a bit musty I thought, but balanced and good. I'm unsure whether I would buy this wine again, but I would absolutely include it in a lineup of a few zweigelts, perhaps getting a better sense of the grape. The wine was made in Hungary, which pushes me to 10 with regards to countries. To recap, Europe is naturally leading with 6 [Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Greece and Hungary], I've also had wines from the U.S., South Africa, Australia and Chile. I've got Argentina and Lebanon lines up to go, and after that I will need to go a little deeper. Zweigelt is also a new grape [to my list].

Wine Count: 18; Country Count: 10; Varietal Count: 17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home