Moose's blog

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wines 13 & 14:

2003 Bodegas la Purisima Iglesia Vieja Reserva Yecla:

That's a lot of Spanish-sounding words in this interesting wine from Spain. I thought I had a new grape in Monastrelle... and still thought I had a new grape when I found out we call it Mataro [in Portugal and the "New World"], but was disappointed when I discovered it's AKA Mouvedre, which I've partaken of already in the form of Wolftrap.

This DenominaciĆ³n de Origen region [a Spanish classification meaning the wines are mainstream and well-known] in the east of Spain, is supposedly akin to the Rhone. I don't know about that, but the wine was okay, really not all that memorable. Somewhat of a closed and simple nose, simple berry flavors.

The wine itself is a blend which is 68% Monastrelle, 21% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 11% Tempranillo.

Wine Count: 13; Country Count: 7

2005 Bodegas Y Vinedos del Tupun Finca Dubois Bonarda

Many more Spanish-sounding names... this time hailing from the Mendoza region of Argentina.

I saw Gary Vaynerchuck taste some Bonarda on his WLTV show [link at right] and was interested because I'd never heard of the grape. Not only that, but he enjoyed it and suggested we try it. I was very happy to see that 4 Seasons Wine was including a Bonarda in my Spring allocation so I was excited to try it, and was not disappointed.

This was much better than the Yecla above, which I likened to more of a table wine, nothing really happening... good with family and food, though.

The Bonarda was much more interesting... obvious vanilla notes pleasantly mixing with the fruit. First I've gotten vanilla so I've been sniffing quite a bit. The flavor actually isn't as pleasing as the nose is, your basic cherries and wood overtones. Good though, and glad I have more bottles.

Wine Count: 14; Grape Count; 13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home