Moose's blog

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wine Number 9 or "The Journey Hits 10%"

2006 Boekenhoutskloof "The Wolftrap":

The wine label on this wine jokes that the name comes from when the first settlers occupied the area. They setup a wolftrap to keep the wolves away and never has a wolf, real or imaginary, been seen. Of course, wolves are not indigenous to southern Africa.

This wine was tasty for the price. I received this wine [2 of them] from the Garden State Wine Club and have heard of the wine discussed on the WLTV forums so was excited to try it. For example, in a thread on the "perfect $100 case" this wine came up many times. I must say I was not overly impressed, though the wine is good. I couldn't get past the oak on the palate and had trouble picking up any other flavors. The nose was better, noticeable fruit and what reminded me of a woody basement, sort of a musty smell, NOT unpleasant, that may have been what is referred to as leathery. Like I said the wine is good and I recommend it to people not afraid of oak, it's just not my style.

For my wine journey I've already done Syrah [50% in Wolftrap] but have not done Mouvedre [48%], the grape most commonly associated with Chateauneuf du Pape. There is also 2% Viognier but that's not enough to include for me... I will taste a Viognier another time.

Wine Count: 9. Grape Count: 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home