Moose's blog

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Review: Garden State Wine Club

A couple months ago there was talk of the Garden State Wine Club. I did some research and decided to try it. I'm in my second month, having just received my wines for April, so here's a review of the service itself, and some very short TNs on some of the wines [obviously haven't tried the April wines yet, but I will add them here when I do]. Here are some of the good things about the club.

1. You can reorder wines, it's not just a wine club. Better yet, it's at a discount, and the discount is usually about 1/3rd off. For example, if you reorder a $20 bottle of wine, you will pay about $14.50. 2.

There are three different levels of the club. The "cheap" one [wines approx. $10 per], the middle level [approx. $20], and the high-end level where the wines run from $40 to $60.

3. You can mix and match, and are able to choose a minimum of 2 bottles [or one of the high-ends], up to a maximum of 4 bottles per month. So if you hate whites but still want 2 different reds, you can have one $10 and one $20 bottle sent to you. I get 4 bottles per month, 2 of the cheap reds, 1 cheap white, and 1 of the middle-level reds. [Your reorders can be as many as may as you want.]

4. The club isn't a fixed rate per month. Why is this a good thing? Some wineries and clubs are like $30/month... no matter what. What undoubtedly happens frequently is they send you wines that don't add up to $30/month. In the GSWC you pay for the value of the wines you get each month.

5. They deliver, it's not sent through post. Meaning you don't have to be there to sign for it.

Some bad things:

1. The online ordering doesn't work, you have to call to reorder. And apparently they are still figuring out this wacky concept called... "e-mail."

2. Their initial service is sketchy, I did not receive 2 cheap reds the first month, only one [I was not charged for it]. However, I called with the change, and ordered 2 more bottles in addition to my monthly alottment and received everything.

3. They deliver it, it's not sent through post. Meaning that I can't order something and expect it within a couple days. They'll bring it monthly when I get my wine club wines. [Not that big a deal for me, but worth mentioning.]

The main reason I wanted to get into this wine club, was the ability to drink various wines, and so far I haven't been disappointed. Doing research on previous selections you'll find more syrah/shiraz, chardonnay, pinot grigio and cabernets than other wines, but they sell the best so you can't really fault them. That said, here's some of the wines I've received and some notes on them.

March:
Smoking Loon Zinfandel 2005 $11: Some of you may have already sighed at this selection, but it's not as bad as you think. Go to your wine shop and look for it, it probably won't be there. Their Zin is new to the market [at least in Jersey] and I was happy with it and ordered 2 more [$7.39]. I found it well worth it for the price and far better than say, Yellowtail.

Turner Road Pinot Grigio 2005 $10: I just had this and was very pleased with it. I've been loving white wines and this didn't disappoint. If you buy inexpensive PG it's worth picking up and giving a shot. I didn't reorder because I don't drink whites that much [one bottle per month is probably enough since my wife doesn't drink it].

Toasted Head Merlot 2004 $16: Wasn't overly happy with this, but it was more because of the price point. Granted $16 isn't an arm and a leg, but you can find more serviceable merlots for less. I did find it interesting, though and quite flavorful, just wasn't my thing. Someone with a more distinguished pallette might think I'm nuts.

My April selection hasn't been tasted yet but I've received a couple interesting ones.

Sebastiani Sonoma County Chardonnay 2005 $11.49: I've never really had Chard so I'm looking forward to trying it and see what all the fuss is about. Like I said I've been loving whites, including riesling, PGs and muscadets.

Sebastiani Barbera 2004 $21.39: Recently had a Kunde Barbera and thought it was excellent albeit young, curious to see how this matches up.

Long Flat Cabernet-Merlot 2004 $13.32: The prize of my April selections. Why, you say? Because it's a BOXED wine! I am sort of leary, but not. Why would a winery selling cheap boxed wine just now be getting out their 2004s? Doesn't make sense, they'd already be pushing out the 2006s. Just tells me that thought and care has been put into it, albeit in a curious containter. I can't wait to try this. Also the container is a litre, not the normal 0.750L.

Do I recommend it? So far I'd say yes.

In case you're curious as to the quality and price points of their high-end wines, here are the last 4.
Domaine Du Vieux Lazaret Chateauneuf Du pape $40 [$30 reorder]
Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino $63 [$46 reorder]
Juslyn $76 [$59 reorder]
Domus Aurea Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 $46 [$34 reorder]

Check back in a week or so for reviews on the wines I haven't tried.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home